We Got This!

We Got This!
Me and the husband

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Inappropriate Laughter and Bulls in the China Shop

I realize it has been a day or so since I reached out to all of you. A lot has happened in these last few days that I have wanted to write about, but I started my second round of chemo and it wiped me out yesterday and today. I almost didn't get on here today, but I missed you all and feel like I owe it to you to keep you updated! Just so you don't worry!
I went to Brittonfield on Thursday after Christmas with my sister and Bill. It was my first time at the HemOc center getting chemo, so I had to get the lay of the land. I told you all about that, look chemo brain is kicking in!
Anyway, I promised you good stories from my trip with Jimmy and Mary, and I will not fail you. Jimmy and Mary have been friend with me for almost 15 years. We have been part of a group of friends that has the best of times together and I am finding really rallies when the worst of times come around. If you are not part of our inner circle and try to keep with us during one of our raucous dinner story exchanges, good luck! You end up feeling like a ping pong ball being bounced around the table trying to keep up with nicknames, inside jokes, and stories that don't end because we all erupt in laughter knowing the ending for ourselves.
This group has had our share of ups and downs. We've fought, cried together, lost parents, grandparents, been there for eachother through other health struggles and come through the other side with our humor in check. These are the people I want to surround myself with during this difficult time. They keep me being myself. They can say that I can't use "cancer" for an excuse all the time, and make me laugh about it.
Jimmy and Mary are part of this crowd and they pulled out all the stops for our trip to chemo. Mary picked up basically every candy snack she could find at the Dollar General, bought candy canes for the nurses, and a bottle of water to keep me hydrated. Jimmy insisted on coffee from Bruegger's beforehand and came tromping out with three cookies, a rice crispie treat, two coffees and a fountain soda for yours truly. He promptly dumped coffee all over himself five minutes into the ride and I knew we were on our way.
You see, we can't do anything lightly, quietly, or carefully. This group is like a bull in a china shop, but it is the bull everyone wants to know. We are the ones you want to be laughing with and be in on the joke. Only this group could light up a chemo room.
When we got there, I knew the two of them would immediately be drawn to the "gift shop." I say "gift shop" because this tiny little shop carries scarves, tank tops, swimsuits for cancer patients....then there are the wigs. Mary loved the idea of the wigs attached to hats and I think was considering getting herself one.
Up on the floor, Jimmy immediately sat down and said "If there are needles, I'm going to faint." Who goes to chemo and doesn't think there will be needles involved. So then the stories started about how chemo went great today, just Jimmy was dragged out by ambulance. Of course they sat us next to a poor unsuspecting elderly couple who had no idea what they were getting themselves into. You see, chemo rooms are set up like an assembly line almost, and there is very little privacy. It's nice because you have your own tv and stuff, but it is pretty crammed tight. So this elderly man was getting his chemo and his wife was making some bizarre contraption with yarn that had all these circles. Jimmy was entranced. It only took a few moments before he had decided she was making him a dreamcatcher that was going to capture all his dreams!! Of course, as she was leaving, he couldn't resist, and asked her what on earth she was making. She dashed his "dreams" when she told him it was an Indian braided necklace.....he was not happy. "So no dream catcher? Damn."
The nurse hung my steroids and the two of them couldn't get enough of that. "Yeah, chemo went great today, Karen, except Jodie killed four of the nurses and ate their arms off." That was just one of the scenarios they came up with.
While we were there another patients pants dropped right behind us, as of course they only would. But Jimmy and Mary just took it in stride, "Oh, her trousers are down!" "Happens to the best of us."
And only Jimmy would go out and have a cigarette in the parking lot.
But now aren't you all wishing you had friends like Jimmy and Mary? People who could make two hours of chemo into two hours of debauchery and laughter? I'm so lucky to have people like them in my life. They keep me balanced. I can cry when I need to, but we all know me, and I thrive on laughter. If I didn't have that outlet...a reason to laugh....I would lose myself in this fight. They are keeping me on my toes, making sure my sense of humor remains in check. Not to mention the number of meals they have made us, the gifts they have given, and the benefit they are planning. I really can't thank them enough for all they have done.
Jimmy I kept your hot pepper story out of the blog, despite having your permission, because I like to keep this somewhat G-rated.
Have no fear everyone, I kept my roid rage in check and just cleaned the house and stayed up til 6 am. But that meant I crashed yesterday hard. And today I slept during chemo. But I got to see my nurses from when I was at Crouse (I had to do inpatient today because of the day and to keep me on schedule). It was great to see them and trade stories about my time in the Crouse Day Inn and Spa, as my great friend Amy called it.
I'm glad to be home, I am also glad to report I got my parents to go to the Jeff Dunham show that we got them tickets for for Dad's birthday. They are having a great time, and so are we, just chilling at home.
Here's to hoping you all have people in your corner that make you laugh and keep your fears at bay. Everyone deserves those people in their life, because with them on your team....You got this!

1 comment:

  1. Good friends are the best medicine. You are lucky to have them around. Memories can keep us entertained and grounded. Glad you have all the corners covered…good attitude, good family, good friends and good medicine. Love and hugs to my favorite BICHE for continued progress. xoxo

    ReplyDelete