We Got This!

We Got This!
Me and the husband

Friday, December 20, 2013

And the journey begins...

Hi everyone!
I've been looking forward to starting this blog now for weeks. I finally have a few free moments and some energy to put it together and get it going. I'm trying to figure out how to do the "about me" section so I won't bore you all with my story of how I got to this point. Just know that in November 2013, the day before my 2nd wedding anniversary, I was told I had malignancies in my liver. After a lot of howling and crying and kicking of things, I resolved that I would not let this diagnosis get me down. I'm killing cancer with my humor because it is what I do best.
The cancer I have is called neuroendocrine small cell carcinoma. At least, that is what I think it is at the moment. I have had a change in diagnosis a few times now. There are multiple "nodules" in my liver and a mass in my breast. I refuse to look on the internet at anything for fear it will put me in a funk. And besides, my nurse practitioner told me that my cancer is so specialized there is nothing I can look up on the net. So special me prefers to live in the clouds at the moment, and it seems to be working. I had my first round of chemo and did very well. My liver functions are currently getting back to normal and I got news today that my bilirubin is now in the normal range! These are all exciting liver words to hear!
The bummer about today is my hair is starting to fall out. The doctor told me that it would take two to three weeks from my first chemo treatment for it to begin. Well we are at the two week mark and sure enough, I am pulling it out. My hair doesn't define me of course. Who am I kidding, yes it does! I was the person who had horse hair all through school and when I cut it senior year into the "Rachael" it made front page news! I tried to prepare myself for the hair loss by cutting it short, and I must admit I enjoy my new do, even if it is only for a few weeks.
I have bought head scarves, hats and watched the videos on how to tie the scarves. I'm trying to look less like a pirate and more fashionable, but we will see. Definitely have come up with some ideas of fun ways to cover my scalp, including wearing a nun's habit with jeans. We will see how this hair loss goes for me emotionally. I have a rather large noggin, so I'm hoping that people don't see me and think it is Macy's Day Parade time again. Stay tuned for wig shopping antics. That should be interesting.
If you have chosen to follow me on my journey, thank you. I'm not looking to be an inspiration. I just want to give some of you hope and allow you to laugh with me as I kick this cancer's ass!
xoxo
Jodie

7 comments:

  1. So Jodie
    If you play pirate, does that mean you get to meet Johnny Depp or Orlando Bloom? I like the idea of a nun's habit….you could be the Flying Nun like Sally Fields or THE NUN'S STORY like Audrey Hepburn, or THE SOUND OF MUSIC nuns in the Abbey, or more fitting, WHOOPIE GOLDBERG in SISTER ACT. Yes, that is the one, I picture you STARRING IN.
    As i posted on FB, you have the makings of a first class novelist. You always liked to write. I want you to remember to include a chapter of your adventures at FRAZER MIDDLE SCHOOL. Let me refresh your memory honey, so you can give me credit on the front inside cover, like: FRAZER MIDDLE SCHOOL CHAPTER IS DEDICATED TO MY MONKETTE MOTHER-FIGURE, LINDA ZAGRANICZNY, AKA MIZZY, by our students. Does that sound good? By the way, if you do not dedicate this autobiography's FRAZER CHAPTER to me, I will sue you for a share of the books' profits.*
    *[I do know a GREAT ATTORNEY, remember?]
    1. You entered the teaching profession, innocent to the knowledge that you would be teaching second grade students, not seventh graders as advertised in the job listing.
    2. YOU would be encountering romance with a seventh grader, AVNI BERISA, who was really a 30 year old in disguise. He would pull the wagon up to school [filled with gum and candy, he had stolen to sell to our real seventh graders [who acted like second graders with first grade skills], and call out to you, "I see you later, Ms. Heim?" You see he was earning money to WOO YOU.
    3. VALDETTE BERISA, soothingly helping you maintain order in your ESL homeroom, that surprise, surprise, [in the spirit of SCSD BRILLIANT SCHEDULING], you did not TEACH ANY OF THE STUDENTS IN YOUR ENGLISH CLASS. Remember these pearly words [in her deepest TENOR VOICE, 'MY DESK.'
    3. Having to teach grade 7 READING [conveniently not mentioned at your interview for the job] to students who could not read grade 2 material. I still see your glowing innocent faces [YOU AND BEN], when Terry and Dean mentioned the READING BLOCK OF 90 MINUTES/EVERY OTHER DAY.
    ***And do not forget that our Real Reading teacher was not scheduled with reading classes to teach the lowest skilled kids, but had the highest of our skilled kids in her two reading classes.
    4. THE HIGHLIGHT OF OUR DAY WAS LAST BLOCK, when we had our free time, of course, after walking our students in the halls, like nursery school kids.
    5. THE GAUNTLET of our elementary teachers who caused us as much heartburn as our middle school students.
    6. THE CIA STYLE-VIETNAM OR GUANTANAMO STYLE TORTURE of YOUR FRAGILE FIRST YEAR TEACHER BEING by Michael McCrary, every other day in last block, English class.
    7. THE MEMORY OF LEAVING ALL THIS JOY IN APRIL AND MOVING ON TO THE BURBS. Thanks be to God.
    8. Remember the girl who left your classroom because she was upset with the sub and went out to the corner store for a lolly-pop to relax. Did that make it ok for us to leave the building and go to the corner bar and grab a martini during our classes? We needed the booze more than she needed the sugar rush!
    Well, these are just a few highlights of the CHAPTER: FRAZER MIDDLE SCHOOL OR 'FIRST TEACHING JOB: FALLING INTO THE ABYSSE….or "Dear God, Is this Purgatory or have I been placed in the INSANE ASYLUM and drugged, and this is one of my hallucinations?"
    Enough for today…more to follow. If you could survive ALL THAT at 28, this cancer thing is a breeze, deer gurrl [in SCSD English]….
    Love, Prayers and Positive energy,
    ABBRACHI E BACI
    MONKETTE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girl who left your classroom to go to the corner store was Mariel. Can't remember the last name. You may…we had a parents' conference with her parents.

      Delete
    2. Her name was Marashall and she works at the Little Caesar's by my house! I saw she was like manager of the month! We must have taught her something!

      Delete
    3. Oh, I remember now. She was a bright girl just troubled. I feel good that she is succeeding. I always wonder where some of the kids are now. Our SCSD kids had farther to travel, than my Liverpool kids. It is always a bonus to see that they are successful. Life did not give them the breaks that other seventh graders had.

      Delete
  2. After enduring together: braces, acne, glasses, mesh track uniforms, hair-sprayed-big-bangs & too many fashion don'ts to count- we've got this hair thing covered! WE ALL LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE, in California, have been hearing your story, though it's all been second hand... until now! Thanks for getting this started. You have the attitude of a "winner", and you know what they say: ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING. Lots of Love to you and yours,
    Linne' Almer
    (your Mom's cousin, and daughter of your Great Aunt Martha)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's with the heaviest heart we regret to say that today Jodie passed away. The world has lost an amazing mother, wife, daughter, sister, cousin, and above all a friend to everyone she met. She went quickly and what we believe to be painlessly with our mom and dad by her side trying to revive her. We are all broken hearted and attempting to cope. Jodie touched so many lives in her short 38 years on this earth and we can never thank her enough for the laughs and the love. Jodie Marie, may you rest peacefully without pain. We love you more, always.

    ReplyDelete